Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Terrible Loss

Well, if you read my mom's blog you'll know that our dear friends' (the family from Becks Bounty blog) house burned down yesterday and they lost everything. They were only able to save a couple pieces of charred furniture. It was a miracle that no one was hurt. I was actually there when the fire started.

I had just gotten my new car and I wanted to take Luke & Abel for a ride in it. Mom suggested that we go get Luke's shoes that he had left at the Becks house Thursday so that's what we did. When we got there some of the family was sleeping and the rest were just lounging around watching cartoons. We rang the doorbell and most of the family came out to see the car. While we were standing around in the driveway talking, not two minutes after we arrived, their 3rd oldest son came out of the walk-in basement door and told his mom that the couch in the garage (which is a part of their basement) was on fire. From then on everything happened so very fast. Tammy (their mom) ran in to get their dad who was asleep in the room next to the fire. They ran out seconds later past the fire and Kevin flung open the garage door. The flames were already so big that he stumbled back but his hair was singed. I grabbed a gas can that was sitting near the garage door then backed away. Tammy called for me to dial 911 on my cell phone so I did then handed her the phone. All the kids were very quick and obedient to pile into my car and after making sure everyone was accounted for we backed away, sat in the field by the house, and prayed together. When I looked up I could see smoke pouring out of even the top story windows and I realized that the fire trucks would not get there in time. This was only about 5 minutes after the fire had been discovered. I drove the kids to the neighbors, who are also friends of ours, and from there we could see massive flames leaping up in the sky. Soon after, I could hear sirens but I knew that it would be too late to save very much. The fire was finally put out after more than an hour but the roof and the entire interior was completely gone. We don't know yet exactly how the fire started but all we know is that there was gas cans beside this old couch in the garage. We were all just hit with an overwhelming gratefulness that every person (and pet) is safe and unhurt.

The family is currently staying with the neighbors and they have a lot of friends who are willing to help. Many have already provided much needed clothing and necessities (they did not have insurance on the contents of the house). Please keep them in your prayers as they recover from the shock and look for a new home to start over.

4 comments:

Nathan L. said...

That would be a terrible thing to happen to anyone. God really used you, His timing truly is amazing.

Strider said...

That's so sad. But praise the Lord that no one was hurt! Add me to the list of prayer warriors for this family.

Anonymous said...

yikes!!!!!!!!
glad yall safe.

Priscilla said...

Thanks so much Strider. They need your prayers. By God's grace through many friends they are doing much better now.